Katie, from Somerset in the UK, has been on the road with us in South America, India, Central Asia, South-East Asia, East and Southern Africa and the Nile Route since September 2012.
- What did you do for a living before becoming crew?
Event and retail management.
- Why did you become Dragoman crew?
I decided there was more to life than being stuck within four walls! I love working with people and I really wanted to travel. I realised I was never going to see all the places I wanted to unless I worked within the industry, and I loved
the adventure offered by Dragoman.
- What's your favourite destination?
Anywhere involving mountains - the remoteness of our Community Trek in the Peruvian Andes is hard to beat, and Patagonia is incredible. But then there is Chapada dos Guimaraes in Brazil... and... and... I have so many!
- What has been your favourite or most memorable occasion on the road?
Dancing with Bollywood actors on a beach in Goa, swimming in a mud volcano in Colombia, the incredible scenery of Patagonia, sharing Christmas on the Community Trek with the locals in Peru, the craziness of Rio Carnival... I can't choose one, and the list just goes on!
- What's the most essential item in your backpack?
Depressingly practical - my glasses. Everything else can be worked around but I'm useless if I can't see!
- What is your one piece of advice to future overlanders/passengers?
Enjoy and embrace the adventure and be as flexible as possible. So often those unplanned, random and unexpected moments are the most memorable.