Sam, from Bristol in the UK, has been on the road for us since June 2019.
- What did you do before joining Dragoman?
Various types of engineering. I have worked on aircraft, plant machinery, automotive, cranes, fabrication and metal work. I most recently lived in New Zealand for 2 years working as a field engineer.
- Why did you become Dragoman crew?
I went to Mongolia for my second Drago trip and saw an amazing opportunity to combine my love of engineering with a love for travel.
- What's your favourite destination?
Has to be Mongolioa... so far!
- What has been your favourite or most memorable occasion on the road?
I was lucky enough to share a birthday with an amazing group next to a river. We stayed up by the fire all night and they handmade me a gift which I will keep forever.
- What's the most essential item in your backpack?
My notepad and a pen. For noting down words, phrases or recommendations before they are so easily forgotten!
- What is your one piece of advice to future overlanders/passengers?
Even if it is just "please", "thank you" and "hello", learn some of the language of the place you are visiting. The effect it has had on my trips has been immense and the response from locals has always enriched my experience.