Visas Required for Overland Tours

Many countries we visit on our travels will require visas, some of which must be obtained before you leave home, and some of which can be obtained en route. Whilst the ultimate responsibility for obtaining visas is yours, we will endeavour to assist you wherever possible.

The visa requirements for your trip vary depending on where you are going, where you are from, and where you are a resident. We provide details about each country on your trip at the bottom of your detailed trip notes - the information provided is given in good faith, and we do try to keep the visa information as up-to-date as possible. However, please be aware that rules regarding visas change frequently, often with no prior warning - so we strongly advise that you research the requirements for your trip yourself and/or consult a dedicated visa agency.

Visas in advance

For visas that are needed in advance, you can choose to submit the applications directly to the relevant embassy/consulate (in which case please thoroughly research what is involved for each country you need to apply to, as it can often be quite complicated and confusing to do this way), or employ the services of a dedicated visa agent who can help you to submit the applications correctly (this can often be much more convenient for making multiple applications).

As you will most likely need to submit your passport together with your applications, we recommend that you avoid making any travel plans in the weeks leading up to your departure. However, if you do need to travel in this period then please let us know as soon as possible so that we can help you work out the options for your visa application process.

Most countries require that your passport is valid for at least 6 months after your entry into the country and has at least one blank page available for stamps.

Letters of Invitation

Some countries require letters of invitation (LOIs) from an agent within that country before you can apply for the visa itself, (e.g. Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, China). We have a dedicated Visa Support Administration team here at the Dragoman office that will apply for these support documents for you - we will contact you after booking requesting additional information that is needed to make this application (e.g. passport scans, family details, employment details). Once any necessary support documents are issued, you can use them to apply directly for your visa yourself or you can choose to employ the services of a dedicated visa agency to assist you with the applications (this is often much more convenient for making multiple applications).


Please note that if you are flying into or via the USA, you must get an authorisation via the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) prior to your journey. If you do not have an ESTA you will be refused travel. Please see here for details and to apply. Please note that there is a similar system in place for Canada known as the ETA.